St George Plein Air and ART Provides Invite you to the 1st Annual
St. George Plein Air Festival
September 26 - October 1, 2022
Come find inspiration in the breathtaking local colors of the Southern Utah Landscape. With a rich history and many breathtaking local canyons to choose from this is set to be a unique Plein Air experience.
Beyond the Park You Know
Welcome to Greater Zion
"Put simply, Greater Zion is a destination a cut above the rest. With striking red rock cliffs, towering, carved canyons, sweeping vistas, and deep, cool waters, Greater Zion is a colorful adventureland brimming with over 2,400 square miles of epic outdoor pursuits. Here, the Mojave Desert, Colorado Plateau, and the Great Basin converge to make for some of the most stunning scenery in the world.
Come immerse yourself in natural wonders and be reminded of what it’s like to be curious, carefree, and completely in awe of the world around you. Home to Zion National Park — the second most visited park in the United States — Greater Zion begs to be explored. While simultaneously immense and intimate, Greater Zion pushes the boundaries of possibility. It’s a destination where beauty meets luxury, where urban elegance complements feats of unparalleled human achievement, and wild and kaleidoscopic landscapes paint the background."—greaterzion.com
EVENT DETAILS, RULES, & GUIDELINES
- The cost to participate is $50
- Artists can do as many works as they like, on location and “in the moment.”
- Only 3 (stamped) pieces will be judged, pick your best.
- ALL ARTWORK MUST BE FRAMED AND READY TO HANG WITH APPROPRIATE WIRE. Cradle boards and gallery-wrapped canvases are allowed as long as the edges are finished and dry.
- There will be $3,000 in prizes, Juried by Gabriel Stockton and Julie Rogers.
- The Gabriel Stockton workshop is not included in the entry fee. The workshop will cost $150 per day or $400 for all three days. See below for more information about the Workshop.
- Plein Air Q & A Thursday, September 29, 11:30 AM at ART Provides.Free and open to the public
- Images of artists participating in and artwork produced during the St George Plein Air Festival may be used in festival publicity (website, social media, flyers, posters, advertisements, etc)
- Registered participants agree to respect both private and public property owners by acquiring permission to go onto their property and public lands by following the use regulations of the various land management agencies (i.e. obtaining necessary use permits, staying on designated roads and trails, etc.).
- ART Provides retains a 30% commission on all sales. Our team will notify you when your pieces sell.
- Confirmation of the rules will be acquired during submission
- Join the local St George Plein Air community Facebook group to ask questions and find friends to plein air with! Here we also have provided a great map with pre-scouted locations.
Monday, September 26
- Check-in at 7 am-5 pm at Art Provides, 35 N. Main Street, St George UT 84770, Upstairs from Gallery 35
- Canvases and or papers need to be stamped on the back before painting begins.
- Artists can have as many blank pages stamped as they desire.
- Artists pick up welcome packets and badges and head off to paint.
Tuesday, September 27
- Check-in and stamping of blank work surfaces continue from 11 am - 5 pm.
- Finished and FRAMED, READY TO HANG paintings can be dropped off at the gallery.
- Three (3) pieces maximum will be shown for each artist, so bring your best work.
Wednesday, September 28
- Check-in continues at Art Provides Gallery as needed.
- ALL work must be turned into a gallery by 2 pm
- Gallery will be hung and juried between 2 pm and 5 pm.
- The opening reception will begin at 5 pm and awards will be presented at 7 pm.
Thursday, September 29
- Paintings will be on display from 11 am - 5 pm at Art Provides Gallery until Saturday, October 1.
- 9 am - Day 1: Gabriel Stockton workshop begins
- Plein Air Q & A 11:30 AM at ART Provides, Free and open to the public
Friday, September 30
- The show continues at Art Provides Gallery 11 am - 5 pm
- 9 am - Day 2: Gabriel Stockton workshop
Saturday, October 1
- All artists' work must be picked up at Art Provides Gallery by 5 pm.
- That is the end of the event! Thank you for participating, have a safe trip home.
- 9 am: Day 3: Gabriel Stockton workshop
Gabriel Stockton is passionate about watercolor; his beautiful work can be seen all around the globe, displayed in private collections, galleries, and museums. Gabriel's attractive paintings have received numerous juried awards from Master artists, esteemed art collectors and museum curators.
Respected by many, Gabriel Stockton is a Brand Ambassador for Daniel Smith Artists Materials, Salmagundi juried artist, artist resident of Spanish Village Art Center (Studio 34A), member of Southwestern Art Association, LPAPA artist member and Member Show Director of San Diego Watercolor Society. In addition, Gabriel is a sought-after instructor for his skillful eye, encouraging words, and fun out-going workshops. He's ready to fill your notebooks with graceful ways to create beautiful watercolor paintings at ease. Gabriel Stockton captures the spirit of his subjects with light, passion, and magnificence. Find his work at GabrielStocktonFineArt.com
Plein Air Q & A Thursday, September 29, 11:30 AM at ART Provides, Free and open to the public
Have you been wanting to try plein air painting but are not sure how to begin? Would you like to find some plein air buddies to go out and paint with? Would you like practical advice on a few of the many plein air easels and gear?
If you’re interested in joining the vast numbers of plein air painters all over the world, you’ll want to drop by Art Provides at the time nd location shown above. The show of plein air paintings during the First Annual St. George Plein Air Festival (Sept. 26-28) will be on display only until Saturday October 1, so you won’t want to miss it. Bring your questions for plein air painters Charm Crumrine, Marilyn Rose and others about equipment, processes and tips for safety and comfort. Not a painting demo but a userfriendly opportunity to gain some information about one of the most exhilarating and challenging painting genres in history.
St George Plein Air Festival would like to acknowledge the work of
Conserve Southwest Utah (CSU). CSU is an organization dedicated to protecting natural and cultural resources in southwest Utah that we artists so love to use as inspiration.
"Washington County is one of the most scenic areas in the West. The beautiful open spaces and scenic vistas make Washington County a desirable place to visit and call home. Our region is home to many endangered and threatened animals and plants including the Mojave desert tortoise. There is constant pressure to develop these lands. We are the only local group advocating protection. Your support is vitally important to our mission of conserving southwest Utah’s natural and cultural resources & advocating for smart growth policies."
Please consider making a donation HERE to Conserve Southwest Utah